Duel Masters Community Forum - Duel, Discuss, Trade, Share

TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Haiken

Feedback Points : 1/1

TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Post by Haiken on 29.01.17 0:05

Here you can find information about the TCG promos and their release. Some of this may still be useful to those trying to collect said promos. There is also a small segment dedicated to locating the Scream Slicer promos. Feel free to add links and info in the comments below.

Event Promos - Year 1

E1/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn - This promo was given to participants of the New York Duel Masters launch event. Link.
  E2 Y1 Fire Sweeper Burning Hellion - This promo was released during the US mall tours. Link.
  E3/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn - This promo was given to participants of the US national "Learn to Play Day", which was held at Toys "R" Us stores.Link.
  E4 Y1 Gregorian Worm - This promo was given to participants of the DM-04 pre-release tournament. Link.
  E5 Y1 Twin-Cannon Skyterror - This promo was given to participants of the DM-05 pre-release tournament.Link.
  E6 Y1 Innocent Hunter, Blade of All - This promo was given to participants of the DM-06 pre-release tournament. Link.

Event Promos - Year 2:

E1 Y2 Trenchdive Shark - This promo was given to participants of the DM-07 pre-release tournament. Link.
  E2/Y2 Sasha, Channeler of Suns - This promo was given to participants of the DM-08 pre-release tournament.
  E3/Y2 Storm Wrangler, the Furious - This promo was given to participants of the DM-09 pre-release tournament. Link.

Tournament Promos - Year 1:

T1 Y1 Stampeding Longhorn - This promo was released during the US mall tours.  Link.
  T2 Y1 Terror Pit - This promo was given to participants of the Invitation Circuit to the 2005 Continental Championship.  Link.
  T3 Y1 Holy Awe - This promo was given to participants of the DM-04 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
  T4 Y1 Corile - This promo was given to participants of the DM-05 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
  T5 Y1 Aqua Hulcus - This promo was given to winners of the Invitation Circuit to the 2005 Continental Championship. (While the promo's collection number actually says "T3 Y1", it is recognized as "T5 Y1".) Link.

Tournament Promos - Year 2:

T1 Y2 Snip Striker Bullraizer - This promo was given to participants of the DM-06 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
  T2 Y2 Photocide, Lord of the Wastes - This promo was given to participants of the DM-07 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
  T3/Y2 Crystal Lancer - This promo was given to participants of the DM-08 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.

JDC League Promos - Year 1:

These promos were released during JDC Tournaments.

L1/6 Y1 Armored Groblav
  L2/6 Y1 Barkwhip, the Smasher
  L3/6 Y1 Amnis, Holy Elemental
  L4/6 Y1 Gigaberos
  L5/6 Y1 Giliam, the Tormentor
  L6/6 Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn
  L7/12 Y1 Magris, Vizier of Magnetism
  L8/12 Y1 Emeral
  L9/12 Y1 Marinomancer
  L10/12 Y1 Chaos Worm
  L11/12 Y1 Boltail Dragon
  L12/12 Y1 Torcon
  L13/20 Y1 Ballus, Dogfight Enforcer Q
  L14/20 Y1 Olgate, Nightmare Samurai
  L15/20 Y1 Nocturnal Giant
  L16/20 Y1 Gigakail
  L17/20 Y1 Skullsweeper Q
  L18/20 Y1 Brigade Shell Q
  L19/20 Y1 Grave Worm Q
  L20/20 Y1 Bolgash Dragon

JDC League Promos - Year 2:

These promos were released during year 2 of the JDC Tournaments. The only card here I will provide further information about is the L13/Y2 Scream Slicer.
Apart from this Link, I can only find two traces of it on the internet.
The first is the one from this listing. This is where my own Scream Slicer comes from. (I bought it from the seller who bought this listing.)
The other Scream Slicer belonged to CK09' on Pojo. Link. He is currently inactive on Pojo and has stopped collecting Duel Masters, so it is unknown what happened to his Scream Slicer.

L1 Y2 Rumblesaur Q
  L2 Y2 Q-tronic Omnistrain
  L3 Y2 Charmilia, the Enticer
  L4 Y2 Locomotiver
  L5 Y2 Phantasmal Horror Gigazabal
  L6 Y2 Überdragon Zaschack
  L7 Y2 Apocalypse Vise
  L8 Y2 Valkrowzer, Ultra Rock Beast
  L9 Y2 World Tree, Root of Life
  L10 Y2 Dyno Mantis, the Mightspinner
  L11/Y2 Vikorakys
  L12/Y2 Magmadragon Melgars
  L13/Y2 Scream Slicer, Shadow of Fear
  L14/Y2 Velyrika Dragon
  L15/Y2 Furious Onslaught
  L16/Y2 Kyrstron, Lair Delver
  L17/Y2 Slash Charger
  L18/Y2 Terradragon Anrist Vhal

Sempai Legends Atari Promos:

These promos were included in various limited editions of the Duel Masters GBA games. Link.

A1/Y1 Rothus, the Traveler
  A2/Y1 Brain Serum
  A3/Y1 Bronze-Arm Tribe
  A4/Y1 Sonic Wing
  A5/Y1 Night Master, Shadow of Decay

McDonalds Kids Meal Promotional:

These promos were released by McDonalds, through Kids Meals. Link. There were 3 cards included with every toy.

M1/Y1 Loth Rix, the Iridescent
  M2/Y1 Twister Fish
  M3/Y1 Gigagrax
  M4/Y1 Star-Cry Dragon
  M5/Y1 Angry Maple
  M6/Y1 Ur Pale, Seeker of Sunlight
  M7/Y1 Toel, Vizier of Hope
  M8/Y1 Aqua Jolter
  M9/Y1 Aqua Hulcus
  M10/Y1 Gigastand
  M11/Y1 Dark Raven, Shadow of Grief
  M12/Y1 Mongrel Man
  M13/Y1 Super Explosive Volcanodon
  M14/Y1 Rothus, the Traveler
  M15/Y1 Mighty Shouter

Burger King Kids Meal Promotional:

These promos were released by Burger King, through Kids Meals. While there were six toys given out at the time, only one of them came with a card. Link.

B1/7 Y1 La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
  B2/7 Y1 Larba Geer, the Immaculate
  B3/7 Y1 Phantom Fish
  B4/7 Y1 Aqua Knight
  B5/7 Y1 Horrid Worm
  B6/7 Y1 Galsaur
  B7/7 Y1 Fortress Shell

D-MAX Reward Year 1:

P1/Y1 Arc Bine, the Astounding - This promo was included in the DVD and VHS editions of the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" in the US. Link.
 P2 Y1 Gariel, Elemental of Sunbeams - This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.

D-MAX Reward Year 2:

P1 Y2 Three-Faced Ashura Fang - This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.
  P2/Y2 Slaphappy Soldier Galback This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.

D-MAX Reward Year 3:

P0/Y3 Super Dragon Machine Dolzark - This promo was given to people who swapped it with their DM-10 Redemption Card at retail stores. Link.
  P1/Y3 Gigandura - This promo was given to participants of the DM-10 pre-release tournament. Link.
  P2/Y3 Bazagazeal Dragon - This promo was given to participants of the DM-09 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations.
  P3/Y3 Melnia, the Aqua Shadow - This promo was given to participants of the DM-11 pre-release tournament. Link.
  P4/Y3 Neve, the Leveler - This promo was included in the magazine Dragonfire. It was fastened on the last page with fugutive glue. Link.

Starter Deck Promos:

These promos were included in Starter Decks and Theme Decks.

85a/110 Rothus, the Traveler - Duel Masters Starter Deck.
  23a/55 Amber Piercer - Kokujo's Darkness Deck.
  42a/55 Metalwing Skyterror - Shobu's Fire Deck.
  85a/110 Pyrofighter Magnus - Duel Masters Starter Deck 2.
  66a/110 Schuka, Duke of Amnesia - Disruptive Forces Deck.
  94a/110 Charmilia, the Enticer - Block Rockers Deck.
  32a/55 Necrodragon Galbazeek - Merciless Pummeling Deck.
  36a/55 Bruiser Dragon - Rise of the Dragonoids Deck.
  36a/110 Mystic Magician - Hard Silence Deck.
  62a/110 Armored Raider Gandaval - Twin Swarm Deck.
  75a/110 Smash Warrior Stagrandu - Duel Masters Starter Deck 3.

Shadowclash Collector Tin:

These promos were included in the Shadowclash Collector Tin. Link.

10a/46 Mist Rias, Sonic Guardian
  26a/46 Mongrel Man
  1/46 - Ethel, Star Sea Elemental
  2/46 - Vampire Silphy
  3/46 - Aeris, Flight Elemental
  4/46 - Emerald Grass
  5/46 - Fu Reil, Seeker of Storms
  6/46 - Gulan Rias, Speed Guardian
  7/46 - La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
  8/46 - Miele, Vizier of Lightning
  9/46 - Milieus, the Daystretcher
  10/46 - Mist Rias, Sonic Guardian
  11/46 - Moonlight Flash
  12/46 - Ra Vu, Seeker of Lightning
  13/46 - Screaming Sunburst
  14/46 - Solar Ray
  15/46 - Syforce, Aurora Elemental
  16/46 - Toel, Vizier of Hope
  17/46 - Bloody Squito
  18/46 - Bone Assassin, the Ripper
  19/46 - Bone Spider
  20/46 - Critical Blade
  21/46 - Dark Reversal
  22/46 - Death Smoke
  23/46 - Gamil, Knight of Hatred
  24/46 - Gigabolver
  25/46 - Marrow Ooze, the Twister
  26/46 - Mongrel Man
  27/46 - Photocide, Lord of the Wastes
  28/46 - Purple Piercer
  29/46 - Scratchclaw
  30/46 - Soul Gulp
  31/46 - Swamp Worm
  32/46 - Vashuna, Sword Dancer
  33/46 - Volcano Smog, Deceptive Shade
  34/46 - Blasto, Explosive Soldier
  35/46 - Brawler Zyler
  36/46 - Burst Shot
  37/46 - Fire Sweeper Burning Hellion
  38/46 - Super Explosive Volcanodon
  39/46 - Sword of Malevolent Death
  40/46 - Bronze-Arm Tribe
  41/46 - Dimension Gate
  42/46 - Exploding Cactus
  43/46 - Mighty Shouter
  44/46 - Natural Snare
  45/46 - Silver Axe
  46/46 - Sword of Benevolent Life

Kellogg's Promos:

These promos were released by Kellogg's. You only got one card from each cereal box. Link.

K1/Y1 Holy Awe
  K2/Y1 Crystal Lancer
  K3/Y1 Dark Raven, Shadow of Grief
  K4/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn
  K5/Y1 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck

Duel Masters Comic Promo Cards:

P1/Y0 Gigaberos - The first five of these promos were included in the different versions of volume 1 of the DM comics released by Dreamwave. Gigaberos was in the Darkness version, Draglide in the Fire version, etc. Link. Link.
  P2/Y0 Draglide
  P3/Y0 Szubs Kin, Twilight Guardian
  P4/Y0 Stampeding Longhorn
  P5/Y0 Tropico
  P6 Y0 Mighty Shouter - This promo was released by Dreamwave also. It was included in Volume 4 of the comic. Link.

German Panini Promos:

24/55 Keeper of the Sunlit Abyss - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Das Offizielle Magazin" number 1.  Link.
  43/55 Otherworldly Warrior Naglu - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Das Offizielle Magazin" number 2. Link.
  91/110 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Offizieller Card Guide". Link. Link.

Italian Official Duel Masters Magazine Promo:

91/110 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck - This promo was released by Parrini & Co. It was included in the Italian magazine "Official Duel Masters Magazine" number 5. Link.

Last edited by Haiken on 21.02.17 21:43; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Promo Arc Bine update)
ELTP
Admin
Admin

Re: TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Post by ELTP on 29.01.17 18:07

Very interesting thread, indeed. This will surely be helpful for many collectors.

Scream Slicer surely is a very odd ball and there must be only few of those around. Maybe other Screams will be find besides the currently known 2 but it's very unlikely. It's weird how your Scream ended up to Poland of all places. It is far away from its home country.
Yami_Michael

Post by Yami_Michael on 03.02.17 12:46

They didn't have a table initially, but a while ago the OCG promo pages did start getting a table wit a description of how they were obtained.

I'll likely be adding some of this to that TCG promo page soon.

Duel Masters Wiki - A site for all of your Duel Masters Information!
Yami_Michael

Post by Yami_Michael on 03.02.17 12:50

The weird thing is, I actually pwn that E3/Y1 Ucarn that was given from the the "Learn to Play Day", which was held at Toys "R" Us.

However, thats not where mine was from. I was actually given it (as well as 2 regular Silver Axe cards) at an Eb Games store yeeears ago buying a regular booster (or maybe the DM-01 starter deck. )

Haiken

Post by Haiken on 03.02.17 15:09

Hm, that is interesting. I did not know other companies than Toys "R" Us participated in that event. But I suppose that would be the case in countries where Toys "R" Us weren't available.

Here is another link for the E3/Y1 promo. The other link specifies which Ucarn that was given out, so I chose that one instead.
Link.
Yami_Michael

Post by Yami_Michael on 03.02.17 15:11

Yeah, Toy's R Us stores do exist here (not many, but they do) but this was months before they had any events at all here (and they were few in number).

Must have just been random distributors somewhere.

awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc on 05.02.17 5:48

Haiken wrote:D-MAX Reward Year 1:

P1/Y1 Arc Bine, the Astounding - This promo was included in various editions of the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" in the US. Look for this sticker on the DVD. Link.

So does this mean only a few DVD/VHS copies came with Arc Bine? Or did all of them had an Arc Bine card? Shocked
ELTP
Admin
Admin

Post by ELTP on 05.02.17 11:46

awesomezxc wrote:So does this mean only a few DVD/VHS copies came with Arc Bine? Or did all of them had an Arc Bine card? Shocked
At least I got mine from an American DVD version of the film. Arc Bine wasn't covered at all, so it had taken a bit damage. I'm pretty sure the card came with every American DVD release of the film.

Haiken

Post by Haiken on 05.02.17 15:03

I have bought three copies of the DVD. Only the two that had that sticker came with Arc Bine.
But after ELTPs statement I feel this warrants another try. I have now bought a VHS from the US (without the sticker), and will post here once I get it.

In any case, if you find a DVD with that sticker, then you can be assured that Arc Bine is included in the least.

ELTP
Admin
Admin

Post by ELTP on 05.02.17 15:52

I might have just been lucky. I don't even know if my DVD case had that sticker on it or not Razz

Anyway, I eagerly wait what you will find out, Haiken.

awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc on 05.02.17 16:37

Haiken wrote:I have bought three copies of the DVD. Only the two that had that sticker came with Arc Bine.
But after ELTPs statement I feel this warrants another try. I have now bought a VHS from the US (without the sticker), and will post here once I get it.

In any case, if you find a DVD with that sticker, then you can be assured that Arc Bine is included in the least.

ooo yeah looking forward to your update!
Zach Hartigan

Post by Zach Hartigan on 05.02.17 17:46

What a huge relief that i dont need to worry about this one anymore...

VHS has arrived

Post by Haiken on 21.02.17 21:39

I picked up the VHS "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" today, and it came with a promo Arc Bine, despite not having a sticker.
So I think we can safely assume that any US version of DVD/VHS of the movie comes with the card, regardless of whether the sticker is included.

Upon further research, I now believe the stickers were added to DVDs sold before the release of DM-06. The stickers say the card is exclusive until "4/30/2005". That is around the same time as DM-06 was released. Link.

I still don't know why I didn't get the card in one of the DVDs I ordered earlier. If I were to guess, then I would say that shrinkwrap was added to an already opened DVD in order to sell it as "new".

I'll update the thread shortly to reflect the new findings.
ELTP
Admin
Admin

Post by ELTP on 22.02.17 18:51

Well, that's excellent news! There are still lots of these DVDs for sale on eBay and lots of people are looking for promo Arc Bine.

OcaVan
Master of Evolution
Master of Evolution

Post by OcaVan on 24.02.17 15:25

Though i'm not interested in tcg promos except for maybe 1 -2 stylish exception, this thread is not only about how dm promos were released. It's also a small/great chronolical timelime "flashback" for TCG, for me at least. And it brought up some memories.

I remember that our local stores was giving a couple of copies away for free of JDC League Promos like Barwhip or Groblav after TCG wasn't produced anymore. I also remember he gave some Apocalypse Promo Year 2 away...
ELTP
Admin
Admin

Post by ELTP on 24.02.17 15:57

Despite living outside America where most of the promotional stuff were given, promos are definitely a nice throwback down the glorious TCG road! They are a big part of DM culture.

Also, this thread makes it much easier for everyone to understand why some promos are more difficult to find than others.

awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc on 25.02.17 8:15

Ahh thats great news. Thanks Haiken, now I just gotta keep a look out for the DVD or VHS haha.

It'll be cool though if there was a timeline to show the release of the promo cards
OcaVan
Master of Evolution
Master of Evolution

Post by OcaVan on 27.02.17 19:56

good idea @awesomexc!
Would be nice to see, but i don't know if Haiken intended to di this originally.
Haiken

Post by Haiken on 27.02.17 20:11

I agree that it would be cool to have a timeline, but I think it would be difficult to find the release date for each card.
The main problem would be that different states/countries released the promos at different times.
OcaVan
Master of Evolution
Master of Evolution

Post by OcaVan on 27.02.17 20:32

where would you start looking for such informations?
Haiken

Post by Haiken on 27.02.17 23:11

The D-Max newsletters would be a good place to start. Link.
I'd also look in the Web Archive for tournaments and other relevant articles.

If I can't find anything from official sources, then I would consider browsing various forums, such as mkrealms and pojo.
Businesswire.com also have a few useful articles. Link
Google would prove very useful I imagine.
awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc on 01.03.17 5:21

Haiken wrote:The D-Max newsletters would be a good place to start. Link.
I'd also look in the Web Archive for tournaments and other relevant articles.

If I can't find anything from official sources, then I would consider browsing various forums, such as mkrealms and pojo.
Businesswire.com also have a few useful articles. Link
Google would prove very useful I imagine.

That'll be great! If you need any help or anything, just drop a message. A timeline would be super cool

Current date/time is 26.09.17 2:46